FinlandLive.Info - Finland Community
 Living, Studying, Working & Traveling in Finland

Forum Stories Albums Videos Groups Chat Community Members

Navigation »Finland Community - Share anything Finnish! > Finland Forum > Living in Finland » What do you think about the Romas begging in Helsinki?

Living in Finland Questions & Answers about living in Finland

Reply

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th-September-2008   #11
Rank: Louhi

BF63 is just loafing
Points: 963, Level: 16
Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
BF63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: by da puter
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
well, I know graduates here from western european countries who have been unemployed here for months. Nobody wanted to give them a job. So what should they do?

Most of them came here because they have a girlfriend here. So either they stay here and the guy get discriminated until he can speak the language or they go to the other country and the Finnish girl gets discriminated. Doesnt matter where you go..as a foreigner you have it always difficult.
Exactly - it is always difficult for foreigners wherever one goes.
But you cannot expect the country to change its ways and people change the way they think. Too many people here have written that Finnish employers should speak more English and employ foreigners most of which speak English. You all don't seem to get it - not all Finns are confident to speak foreign languages and most older "bosses" / employers really don't even speak other languages so you cannot expect them to change their way of thinking just because we need more foreign work power. It does not happen that easy.

And this is not just the case in Finland. I work for an international company and have sadly noticed how our "big bosses" in Sweden do not want to speak or use English even if there are customers who would understand it but don't speak & understand Swedish. These lazy b_stards are just so selfish that they want to speak their own language because it makes them feel more at home, it's easier for them and they don't want to make an effort for the foreigners (who also happen to be their customers )!
BF63 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 18th-September-2008   #12
Rank: Lemminkäinen

afinnegirl is enjoying the sunny spring day. It's a great day in many ways! :D
Points: 1,217, Level: 19
Points: 1,217, Level: 19 Points: 1,217, Level: 19 Points: 1,217, Level: 19
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
afinnegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Age: 32
Posts: 168
Send a message via Yahoo to afinnegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
So either they stay here and the guy get discriminated until he can speak the language or they go to the other country and the Finnish girl gets discriminated. Doesnt matter where you go..as a foreigner you have it always difficult.
I disagree with this one. I moved to the US and haven't had any problems because I'm not American. Biggest difference is though that I spoke English when I moved to this country. I don't care which country you live in, you should learn the language spoken there. I know the other big difference for many is that I'm white and from a western culture, but that still shouldn't make a difference.

I think that many Finns, due to their history, are skeptical of immigrants, especially if they don't speak Finnish or they express their culture in Finland. I do admit, however, that Finland isn't the easiest country to fit in. I'd say that the biggest problems are the culture and the language. You really need to take an intensive crash course into the history and culture in order to adjust. Of course learning the language is number one and does coincides with the culture lessons.

Just my opinion/view on the subject.

P.S. I can't say much about the Romas themselves as I haven't encountered them while I've visited Finland.
afinnegirl is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 18th-September-2008   #13
Rank: Ukko

Snow is looking forward for Spring
 
Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helsinki - Finland
Age: 30
Posts: 702
Story Entries: 14

I am also working for an international company here ...and guess what..I am the only foreigner there.

afinnegirl: yes but America is an immigration country and well...you can speak English. Thats of course a Plus...If I could speak Finnish I would have it easier here as well.

But take for example Schwarzenegger...Gouvaneur of California...could never be possible in Finland

Last edited by Snow; 21st-March-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Snow is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 18th-September-2008   #14
Rank: Louhi

BF63 is just loafing
Points: 963, Level: 16
Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
BF63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: by da puter
Posts: 70

Finland is no "Silly Land"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
But take for example Schwarzenegger...Gouvaneur of California...could never be possible in Finland
Absolutely - this would never happen in this country. Here you need to show more than muscles to get into a high position like that.
There are countries where most of the daily life has to be a big show and actually is that and then there are countries "with serious business".

Good night everyone
BF63 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 19th-September-2008   #15
Rank: Ukko

Snow is looking forward for Spring
 
Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helsinki - Finland
Age: 30
Posts: 702
Story Entries: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF63 View Post
Absolutely - this would never happen in this country. Here you need to show more than muscles to get into a high position like that.
There are countries where most of the daily life has to be a big show and actually is that and then there are countries "with serious business".

Good night everyone
Yes, if you have muscles you have no brain (e.g. Vladimir Klitschko has a PhD), if you are a foreigner you have no brain and can't make a career in Finland. Really good arguments...fortunately, I also know some Finns who makes decision not solely based on stereotypes.

Have opened a new discussion: http://www.finlandlive.info/finland-...s-finland.html

Last edited by Snow; 19th-September-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Snow is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 19th-September-2008   #16
Rank: Väinämöinen

T-bag is taking deep breath and lay back
Points: 2,893, Level: 32
Points: 2,893, Level: 32 Points: 2,893, Level: 32 Points: 2,893, Level: 32
Activity: 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
 
T-bag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helsinki
Age: 25
Posts: 374
Story Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to T-bag Send a message via Yahoo to T-bag

Sama paska , Eri paivä
T-bag is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 19th-September-2008   #17
Rank: Louhi

BF63 is just loafing
Points: 963, Level: 16
Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16 Points: 963, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
BF63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: by da puter
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Yes, if you have muscles you have no brain (e.g. Vladimir Klitschko has a PhD), if you are a foreigner you have no brain and can't make a career in Finland. Really good arguments...fortunately, I also know some Finns who makes decision not solely based on stereotypes.
Klitschko has a Phd....yes, in SPORTS SCIENCE. And that would probably qualify him to run a state, for example, California. Maybe that's what he is aiming at, he moved to Beverly Hills in 2004
And what science is Hasta la Pasta Baby qualified in?

Unfortunately a Phd in different countries doesn't mean the same and it doesn't automatically open doors to people holding one.
BF63 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 19th-September-2008   #18
Rank: Väinämöinen

maniya is heheheheheheheheheheheee!
Points: 2,868, Level: 32
Points: 2,868, Level: 32 Points: 2,868, Level: 32 Points: 2,868, Level: 32
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
maniya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gurestun No. 6
Posts: 234

Hi Snow!
i'm so sorry to hear these things & also I visited nemoo's blog & read all 111 comments!!!
well I dont know how it really would be, I have lots of chat friends from there & I dont think they are racist I didnt have any problems with them but it proves nothing because it is only in net,behind the monitor!
I felt really sorry for that romanian woman there,people scared & escape because of her skin color... oh u are german & u got this situation about work & etc ...!
so I would guess my situation there,,,u know Iranians,so I'm one of the kind, verry Mediterranean looking-like girl so surly if I go there I would have problems & oh! if someone ask me where are you from & I answer Iran they say OOOOOH RUN A TERRORIST..without knowing what exactly who am I...
nationality is something that never change...
maniya is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 19th-September-2008   #19
Rank: Ukko

Snow is looking forward for Spring
 
Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Helsinki - Finland
Age: 30
Posts: 702
Story Entries: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF63 View Post
Klitschko has a Phd....yes, in SPORTS SCIENCE. And that would probably qualify him to run a state, for example, California. Maybe that's what he is aiming at, he moved to Beverly Hills in 2004
And what science is Hasta la Pasta Baby qualified in?

Unfortunately a Phd in different countries doesn't mean the same and it doesn't automatically open doors to people holding one.
He has a Business and Economics degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniya View Post
Hi Snow!
i'm so sorry to hear these things & also I visited nemoo's blog & read all 111 comments!!!
well I dont know how it really would be, I have lots of chat friends from there & I dont think they are racist I didnt have any problems with them but it proves nothing because it is only in net,behind the monitor!
I felt really sorry for that romanian woman there,people scared & escape because of her skin color... oh u are german & u got this situation about work & etc ...!
so I would guess my situation there,,,u know Iranians,so I'm one of the kind, verry Mediterranean looking-like girl so surly if I go there I would have problems & oh! if someone ask me where are you from & I answer Iran they say OOOOOH RUN A TERRORIST..without knowing what exactly who am I...
nationality is something that never change...
well, not everybody is bad here...e.g. my boss is really open minded

However, Germany is also not a paradise if you are a Foreigner and cant speak the language. You may always find it difficult if you look different or if your lastname sounds strange or whatever...but there are countries where you might have it easier as a foreigner than in other countries.

From my point of view people who have problems with foreigner should maybe get some experience abroad. They would see everything with a different view afterwards.

Last edited by Snow; 19th-September-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Snow is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 24th-February-2009   #20

foxypoly has no status.
Points: 206, Level: 4
Points: 206, Level: 4 Points: 206, Level: 4 Points: 206, Level: 4
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
foxypoly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Blue Lake California, USA
Posts: 14

Living in Finland


Hi, my husband and I have applied for our Finnish citizinship. We are currently living in USA. We have been studying the Swedish language because his family are all swedish speaking living in Korsnas, Finland. They have been there since the 1700s.

My husband's grandfather came to America when he was 16 years old in 1916, during the Finland Civil War. My husband wants to go back to his family in Finland. He has already been there visiting his relatives. We are looking forward to this important transition of our lives. He is an artist and some of his artwork is in Finland and Sweden.

We do not plan on going to a new country and expect them to support us. We are learning the family's language, studying the history of Finland, and will be working once we get there. And if we choose not to work we have a successful business here in USA for our income.
foxypoly is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiWong this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
begging, helsinki, romas


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes


© 2009 by www.FinlandLive.Info
vBulletin - Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.- Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1